10 July 2023
On-page SEO holds great significance as it serves as a comprehensive guide for Google and other search engines to understand the value your website offers to visitors and customers. It plays a crucial role in optimising your site for both human readers and search engine bots. Simply creating and launching a website is not sufficient; it must be optimised to rank well on search engine result pages and attract new organic traffic. On-page SEO is referred to as "on-page" because the adjustments and optimisations you make are visible to visitors directly on your web pages, unlike off-page and technical SEO elements that may not be immediately apparent.
Each aspect of on-page SEO is entirely under your control, making it vital to ensure its correct implementation. Now, let's delve into the key elements of on-page SEO.
1. High-Quality Page Content: Creating valuable, informative, and engaging content is crucial for on-page SEO. High-quality content that satisfies user intent and provides relevant information helps improve search engine rankings and keeps visitors on your site longer.
2. Page Titles: Page titles should be concise, descriptive, and include relevant keywords to help search engines understand the page's content.
3. Headers: Headers, represented by H1, H2, H3, and so on, structure the content on a web page. They provide hierarchical organisation and make it easier for both users and search engines to navigate and understand the content. Including target keywords in headers can further enhance the page's SEO.
4. Meta Descriptions: Meta descriptions are brief summaries that appear in search engine results below the page title. While not a direct ranking factor, well-crafted meta descriptions that entice users to click can improve click-through rates and indirectly impact search rankings.
5. Image Alt-text: Image alt-text is descriptive text assigned to an image. It helps search engines understand the content of the image, improves accessibility for visually impaired users, and can also appear in search results. Optimised alt-text should be descriptive and include relevant keywords.
6. Structured Markup: Structured markup provides additional context to search engines about the content on a web page. It helps search engines understand the type of information presented, resulting in enhanced search result displays with rich snippets, knowledge panels, and other valuable elements.
7. Page URLs: Page URLs, or permalinks, are the web addresses that uniquely identify each page on your site. Optimised URLs should be concise, descriptive, and include relevant keywords, making them easier to understand for both users and search engines.
8. Internal Linking: Internal linking refers to linking relevant pages within your own website. It helps establish a logical site structure, distribute link equity, and improve user navigation. Proper internal linking can enhance the visibility and indexing of important pages while aiding in user engagement.
9. Mobile Responsiveness: With the rise in mobile device usage, having a mobile-responsive website is crucial. Mobile responsiveness ensures that your site adapts and displays properly on various devices, providing a seamless user experience. It is also a ranking factor for search engines.
10. Site Speed: Site speed refers to the time it takes for a web page to load completely. Fast-loading websites create better user experiences and have higher chances of ranking well. Optimising site speed involves various techniques like minimising file sizes, optimizing code, leveraging caching, and using content delivery networks (CDNs).
These on-page SEO elements work together to optimise your web pages for search engines, improve user experience, and increase organic visibility.
Implementing them effectively can positively impact your website's rankings and overall SEO performance.
In addition to our website design services we also offer responsive web design services and ecommerce web development services. We also offer website and email hosting, email newsletter service and 24/7 support. Our web site search engine optimisation (SEO) services ensure your site has the best possible chance of being seen in the organic listings of search engines.
Whilst many of our happy clients are local in places such as Billingshurst, Petworth, Horsham, Crawley, Midhurst, Brighton and Worthing, most are scattered throughout the UK and many are worldwide in places such as Geneva, New Zealand and France.